Re:nvidia binary driver support

> How is support for Nvidia's closed-source drivers?  Does anybody have any
> experience with them on kfreebsd?
>
> They work very well on my freebsd system but I know that userland is
> kfreebsd is somewhat different.  I'm afraid to make the jump installing
> kfreebsd on one of my home machines until I know that certain criteria are
> met.  These criteria being among other things smp support and 3d
> acceleration.

The SMP is supported, just install the right kernel package, i.e. kfreebsd-image-6-686-smp

For the "Nvidia's closed-source drivers" it depends on how much closed they are.
It might provide a few closed object files and some wrappers written in C.
In this case it might be possible to slightly alter warppers to work on GNU/kFreeBSD.
But it might also provide only shared libraries, linked against FreeBSD libc. In this case, it will not work.

Petr
.