Re: BSDStats

Petr Salinger dixit:

>> Is there any way of determining Debian GNU/kFreeBSD vs Gentoo GNU/kFreeBSD
>> without using sysctl?  I know I can get GNU/kFreeBSD out of uname -o, but how
>> can I get 'Debian'?
>>
>> I'm trying to update the bsdstats (http://www.bsdstats.org) script to split
>> between the two, else I have to lump it all in as "GNU/kFreeBSD", which is
>> what
>> we are doing now :(
>
> Do you really want to distinguish between Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and Gentoo
> GNU/kFreeBSD.
> Or is the second one Gentoo/FreeBSD
> (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/bsd/fbsd/) ?

I talked to the Gentoo/*BSD maintainer yesterday in order to apply the same
kind of “distinguishing” to my version¹ of the BSDstats script, which, since
a short while, also supports reporting Debian GNU/kFreeBSD including pak-
kages (don't know about kNetBSD, but might very well be).

He said:
• Gentoo FreeBSD has just been revived after years of inactivity,
  but I believe the scripts could just report this as/like FreeBSD,
  because it's in fact just another ports framework.
• Gentoo GNU/kFreeBSD was very short-lived and won't be revived.

¹) http://www.mirbsd.org/cvs.cgi/src/share/misc/bsdstats?rev=HEAD;content-type=text%2Fplain
   • You'll need to install at least netcat, mksh, sharutils, openssl,
     and optionally bind9-host
   • It supports reporting all kinds of BSDs (system, cpu) – I think,
     could only test it on MirBSD (7, 9, 10), Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, but
     this stuff is portable. It does not support reporting device in-
     formation. It supports sending in packages information about any
     combination of MirPorts Framework, NetBSD® pkgsrc®, and Debian
     (dpkg) at the same time. It does not support FreeBSD Ports, PC-BSD
     pbi, OpenBSD Ports (although the latter would require only small
     modifications).
   • It depends on many more things than Marc's script, but works quite
     well (and is enabled by default in MirBSD).
   • I intend making a Debian package out of it – if noone objects –
     which people can use until popularity-contest has been enhanced
     by BSDstats function for k*bsd architectures.

bye,
//mirabile
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt