Re: Debian GNU/(k)NetBSD and sparc32 hardware?

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hi,

BERTRAND Joël <joel.bertrand@systella.fr> writes:

	Maybe, but NetBSD kernel does not correctly work on sun4m/SMP,
like Linux. Today, no one OS can be used on sun4m/SMP workstations,
and I think that it will be easier to fix linux 2.6 sparc32 kernel
than work on debian/xBSD sparc32 port.

I had reports stating the contrary, as far as HyperSPARC SMP is
concerned (which seems like the less-likely-to-work configuration):

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.ports.sparc/6945
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.ports.sparc/6943

OTOH, there were mixed reports related to SMP with other processors:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.ports.sparc/6931
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.netbsd.ports.sparc/6914

	Ludovic,

I've never said that NetBSD does not boot, but that NetBSD is not stable enough to be in production state. In SMP configuration (SS or HS), I've never seen any stable NetBSD kernel (since 3.0) on sparc32. It randomly panics or hangs on all my sparc32/SMP. NetBSD 4.0 kernel has a broken SX fb support, and maybe my tests are not significative.

	Regards,

	JKB