Re: GCC 4.2 transition

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 10:16:27AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> The plans for the GCC 4.2 transition were described in
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/06/msg00008.html
>
> Does any port still need to stick with GCC 4.1 for a while?  Feedback
> from hppa, mips*, s390, powerpc, amd64, i386 porters doesn't show
> objections against the transition.

According to Bastian Blank, gcc 4.2 currently produces broken sparc
kernel images.

Another thing which comes to mind: we have recently announced that
sparc32 machines are not going to be supported in lenny. Transition to
the new gcc version seems like a perfect time to turn on the
ultrasparc specific optimizations in gcc by default. Do you think it
is feasible? I currently have no idea what breakage such a change
might cause.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org