Re: output of sys.platform changed

My guess is that it is taken from an binary from python-2.4 package
and represents kernel version at time of build.
Then that indeed is a bug.

The main question is what should "sys.platform" really mean ?

It looks like runtime detection is in module platform, please try
platform.system()
platform.release()

I also verified the installed FreeBSD kernel on my system and it says is
kfreebsd-image-5.4-1-486 5.4-21. I don't see any FreeBSD 6.x series
kernel image or utility installed on my box.

Well, you should consider upgrade to 6.2 kernel ;-)

Well! I don't think that'd be a solution. There'll be users who'll prefer
sticking to FreeBSD 5.x kernel and there has been no announcement about 5.x
kernel being obsoleted and unsupported.

The above hint only meant that 6.2 kernel is supported better.

I don't see any FreeBSD 6.x series kernel image or utility installed on my box.

Well, with up-to-date GNU/kFreeBSD you will have FreeBSD 6.2 based utilities, try "dpkg -la | grep -i freebsd"

Petr