Re: Maybe FAQ

I may be asking questions to be already FAQs, but I cannot find any
FRQ , so ... I ask :-)

There is a short one - http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_FAQ
Fell free to extend it by answers bellow ;-)

Take also look at links from http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD

1) Is there any way to upgrade to Debian-*bsd an existing, running
FreeBSD installation (wheter it makes sense or not)

I am unsure about this. You can prepare filesystem on a different partition/slice and use chroot to install basic files. Look inside iso at http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org/install-cd/kfreebsd-i386/20061213/,
there should be base.tgz somewhere inside debian-20061213-kfreebsd-i386-install.iso.
But at least multi-threaded programs will not work under pristine FreeBSD kernel.

2) Can *.deb packages co-exist with classical BSD ports ?

It is not good idea. Please use chroot for things like this.

3) Are the *.deb packages for *bsd handled the same old way they did
on linux, or they simply use /usr/local filesystem ?

In the same way as on other Debain system - usual prefix is /usr

4) What about some specs I once read about leaving the use of
/usr/local to the system administrator (Maybe these are concerning
only to Linux...)

There are (almost) no files from any *.deb in /usr/local/
It is really left for local system administrator.

Sorry for terse answers, but my Christmas time
is dedicated mainly to my family.

Petr