Re: pfctl/bind9 and kfreebsd 6.0; sysctl

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:33:28PM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:

> This I can work on.  I will yank the source from the 6.0-RELENG branch
> and see how it works.

Please look at the freebsd-utils package.  The source is there but it is
disabled.  You'll need the regexps and environment provided by the package if
you want to build it, though.

> > > bind9, while not stellar on 5.4, hangs on 6.0.  On 5.4, it eventually
> > > returns SERVFAIL for every request.  On 6.0, it won't even start.
> >
> > What is the error on 6.0 ?
>
> Unknown.  It hangs when init starts it, making the machine useless and
> requiring the use of the reset button, as neither getty nor sshd have
> started yet.  I'll reboot into GNU/kFreeBSD and test.  Not having strace
> may make it difficult, though.

We have ktrace, which is mostly the same.

> > Maybe it's feasible to do it at the source level.  Who knows?  Perhaps it's
> > just an ioctl code (either API or ABI) that changed or something.
>
> If it is too difficult to do in C, we could always put pfctl-6 and
> pfctl-5 in /lib/freebsd, and then write a C or sh wrapper around them.

Uhm alright.  Whatever that works :)