No Mouse in X and kbdcontrol package

Sorry for double posting but i thought it might be more appropriate here.

Hi,
When I log into X my mouse doesn't work.  When I try to run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, I'm only presented with two options for a mouse /dev/cuaa0 (choosing this freezes my computer) or /dev/sysmouse (choosing this allows me to boot into X but not use my mouse).  I am presuming since I have a laptop mouse that I want /dev/psm because this is what I use on Debian GNU/Linux.  Any ideas how I can over come this problem?
Also, the kbdcontrol package will not install because it depends on keymaps.
Thanks and so far I'm quite impressed with the port!
Chris