Re: enabling pf

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 11:09:33AM +0800, Jett Tayer wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 17:51 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 12:58:28PM +0800, Jett Tayer wrote:
> > > ok done that. i have now enabled pf and now up and running but how about
> > > recompiling the kernel to support ALTQ? is it the same with the freebsd
> > > procedure?
> >
> > In theory, you shouldn't need to recompile the kernel.  Can you be more specific
> > on what is missing?
> >
> but is it possible to recompile the kernel right?

Of course.  You can recompile any Debian package in the system (unless it is
buggy and fails to build from source).

What I'm trying to say is that (like in userland packages), the default kernel
should be complete enough that you don't need to recompile it (except in very
specific situations).

If you think there's something missing, you should probably file a bug report.

> i mean how do i add
> features/support such as ipfw, dummynet, ALTQ in the kernel?

Generaly, you just add the necessary keyword in i386/conf/GENERIC.  See the
NOTES file for a list of valid keywords (and their descriptions).  For general
info about compiling kernel of FreeBSD, check the FreeBSD Handbook (instructions
there should be read with a grain of salt, understanding that we're in the
context of Debian and some things just don't apply).