Re: nat in GNU/kFreeBSD broken or it's just me?

On 11 28, 05, at 6:11 PM, Robert Millan wrote:

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 12:15:45PM +0800, Jett Tayer wrote:
Hello,

I'm using my GNU/kFreeBSD server for weeks now as a standalone webserver and it's working perfectly. Now i would like to use it as a PC router.

I would like to know how to enable ip forwarding in GNU/kFreeBSD?
The usual gateway_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf is not working

I'm not sure why you have this file (maybe a bug in our installer?), but it's
not used in Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.

Instead, you'd use /etc/sysctl.conf or /boot/loader.conf.

i will try with /boot/loader.conf and see if it works

I tried to manually enable "nat" but still no go.
mach16:~# sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
[...]

Also tried to enable ip_forwarding "the linux way" :)
in /etc/sysctl.conf and rebooted my machine but still the same problem.
#
# Uncomment the next line to enable packet forwarding for IPv4
net/ipv4/ip_forward=1

If you use Linux-style sysctls, no wonder they don't work :). You can only
use kFreeBSD sysctl names in this file.

Maybe we can just replace the included sysctl.conf file to use kFreeBSD sysctl names?
by default it's still Linux-style sysctls :)

BTW, im using my working openbsd /etc/pf.conf so i'm sure it's working.
And yes, i have changed the "interfaces" in pf.conf accordingly :)

I've used NAT with PF on GNU/kFreeBSD succesfuly before, so I can assure you it
works.  I don't have my config anymore to check with, though.

Maybe you could check somehow if forwarding works before checking with NAT in
your PF setup?