Re: make buildworld

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:27:21AM -0400, Ming Fu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a FreeBSD user turned Debian newcomer.
>
> Is there a way in Debian to build the whole system from source like I
> can do with "make buildworld" in FreeBSD?

The simple answer is no.

Debian has no direct equivilent to "world" on FreeBSD. Instead
everything is a package, built separately. There's normally no reason to
rebuild the system from source. Unlike FreeBSD, Debian is heavily into
binary upgrades, so rebuilding from source isn't necessary for
upgrading.

That said, if you really want to, there's a package called pbuilder that
can be used to automate building packages from source.

	---Nathan