Re: GNU within the name

    Erik> the question is whether you have a right in the first place.
    >>
    >> Yeah, I think it is part of the right of free speech, which is
    >> commonly accepted right in contemporary democratic countries and I
    >> really hope is respected by Free Software developers, no matter if
    >> they are citizens of not so democratic ones.

    Erik>    so what? I said it's annoying, not illegal. I did not say they
    Erik> _cannot_ do it.

  Well, the phrase "the question is whether you have a right in the
first place" sounds like questioning this right to me.  Glad we don't
have disagreement here.

    Erik> as I said it's completely different for debian developers -
    Erik> if a debian developer tries to convince other debian
    Erik> developers it's ok. if gnu tries to convince others to
    Erik> change the name it's not OK (that's what I said is annoying
    Erik> narcissism, not strictly wrong but even less right, IMO)
    >>
    >> I don't have the impression that Debian is a closed order,
    >> self-contained and isolated from the rest of the world.

    Erik> no it's not.

  Good! You know, in-breeding is dangerous, it's always better to be
open to opinions outside one's immediate environment.

    Erik> it does not have anything to do with the issue though.  the
    Erik> point is that debian developers are debian developers while
    Erik> fsf/rsm are outsiders asking number of parties (not only
    Erik> debian) to change the name. yes, they _can_ do that. but I
    Erik> consider it annoying and against common practice in free
    Erik> software world.

  I consider the TNF "request" MUCH more annoying, completely
unfounded and dangerously playing with the (probably justified) fears
from the US judicial system.

~velco