Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:33:30AM +0200, Momchil Velikov wrote:
>   How can the use of ``NetBSD'' "dilute" the trademark, when it refers
> to a piece of the same software ?

Because 'NetBSD' normally refers to the entire system - kernel, libc,
userland, pkgsrc (but not the things downloaded and compiled by the use of
the pkgsrc system), as well as the whole arrangement - just as we wouldn't
want someone who built an OS running dpkg and APT as the package management
tools, but didn't follow any of Policy or other such things, to call it
"Debian".

Basically, saying "Debian GNU/NetBSD" could be read as implying "We're
using NetBSD" rather than "We're using parts of NetBSD", and if read as the
former, is not a true and factual statement, thus (possibly) causing issues
with dilution of trademark, by using the name to refer to something other
than it's intended meaning.

Whereas saying "We use <X>, <Y>, and <Z> from NetBSD" is true and factual,
and uses 'NetBSD' solely in a context of referring to the body of software
produced by the NetBSD project's efforts - which is what the trademark is
intended to refer to, and thus, is not a dilution of it.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/NetBSD(i386) porter                                       : :' :