Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 08:47:28PM -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
>
> > Your proposal would change that. I oppose it, and I would oppose it just
> > the same if you wanted to call them Loki, Kali or Hitler. (To pick a few
> > at random.) Using names of evil, real or imagined, is not something
> > that would be helpful to Debian. That kind of publicity we don't need.
>
> Nathan,
>
> I understand what you are trying to say but just fyi, there is nothing
> remotely evil about the Goddess Kali in Hinduism.

Loki isn't that evil either; he's just the god of mischief, hence more
of a prankster than anything else.  Anyway, the comparision of mythical
creatures with the frontal figure of one of the biggest mass murders of
all time is beyond absurd...

Of course, I don't really think we should merit religious nonsense with
the honour of giving name to the products of Debian labour anyway...
And if we do, let's choose one of the religions noone believes in...
Branden's second proposal of using something from Pratchett did have a
nice ring to it, and then there's always the valar.

Hmm, come to think of it, money is what most people worship nowadays, so
maybe Debian GNU/Pesetas, Debian GNU/Zloty, and Debian GNU/Yen?!  All
hail capitalism!  This would be quite fitting right now, since most of
the western world is celebrating capitalism's supremacy next week (of
course, some celebrate it religiously for historical reasons, but they
seem to be a minority nowadays...)

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //