Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 11:11:20AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> Feel free to propose alternatives from, say, the origional mythology which
> spawned the concept of daemons as beings which were not inherently good or
> evil, then.

I'm not sure such a thing exists, since one of the basic points of
demons/devils was to "demonize" gods from other religions.

However, tongue somewhat in cheek (and somewhat at random),
you could use polynesian gods.  Maybe Fue, Nu'u and Ono.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesian_mythology

A [slightly] more serious suggestion would be to give up on the "demon"
aspect of "cute demon" and go with the "cute" aspect.  Maybe "cute"
animals (fox, otter, ... but netbsd is probably out of luck)... or maybe
a better idea would be words from non-english languages which mean "cute"
(I don't have any concrete suggestions here).

I suppose another idea would be to just remove BSD from the name --
maybe substitute in something "berkeley-ish" whatever that might be...

--
Raul Miller
moth@magenta.com