Re: Tried to compile pppd but no luck

 --- "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@wcug.wwu.edu> wrote: > On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Pedro F.
Giffuni wrote:
> > I traced the version included in FreeBSD to here:
> > ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/ppp/
>
> That doesn't look right (unless it is from long time ago because it is
> very different). That pppd from that samba server is the same PPPD
> included with NetBSD. I have read lots of that code and patched it a few
> times. I even ported it to NetBSD's pkgsrc (because I use it with pkgsrc
> under Linux kernel and glibc).

But it is :-). FreeBSD carries a patched 2.3.5 pppd that was maintained by
Peter Wemm (I think he works for Yahoo now, I emailed him).

Can you please submit the NetBSD patches to the author? The latest release
doesn't support FreeBSD or NetBSD and updating the FreeBSD patches is
non-trivial. This could be maintained in the ports tree and would leave the
door open to suggest a different pppd (or an updated one) in the base FreeBSD
distribution.

cheers,

   Pedro.