Re: Tried to compile pppd but no luck

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 05:15:04PM +0100, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> > For what i'm told, the *BSD forked that PPP at some point and made their
> > own versions. The fork is not that much separated, as you can see i used
> > code from both FreeBSD's and NetBSD's PPPs for my port.
> >
> I traced the version included in FreeBSD to here:
> ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/ppp/
>
> I'll try to update it, but ultimately I suspect FreeBSD will replace it with
> mpd.

I don't think you can simply update it to FreeBSD's version. The interfaces
with the rest of userspace PPP have been changed and cannot be changed back
(since GNU/Linux is already using them.

To get it working, I had to take some functions from every sys-bsd.c around
(NetBSD's, FreeBSD's, and even from GNU/Linux'), FreeBSD's doesn't provide
most of the missing functions, while NetBSD's is much closer.

See my patch (which btw should also make it work on FreeBSD)

What could be interesting, and useful for us, is if FreeBSD switched back
to the common PPP implementation and started maintaining it as the default
for their own system.