Tried to compile pppd but no luck

I tried to compile pppd, just a checkout from the cvs at cvs.samba.org
What I saw was that the support for freebsd was discontinued since
freebsd-3.0 (1999), also it patches the kernel.

What I did:

cd pppd
cp Makefile.linux Makefile.gfbsd
vi Makefile.gfbsd (I changed sys-linux.c to sys-bsd.c)
make -f Makefile.gfbsd

And a lot of errors about symbols explicetely defined in sys-bsd.c and
others.
Checking the configure script at the top level seems that it patches the
freebsd kernel (version 3 and others ancient versions).