Re: FreeBSD patch for dpkg?

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 05:33:58PM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 05:13:00PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
>
> > that's great news!
>
> If so, please ask him to use 5.0.

why, is 5.0 the latest version?

> I have the workstation now. Just have to find time to sort out which
> files need to be uploaded. As you can probably imagine, there are
> several Gigs, and uploading that over dialup is a bit "awkward".

can you put these Gigs on anonymous FTP? then i can select the needed
files and take only these from your box.

> Not unless a solution can be found for the breakage in /usr/include.
> With glibc, I am unable to build a _very_ large number of BSD system
> utilities. I was making some progress, then discovered that _all_
> networking headers were broken.

if the BSD system utilities are not decently portable software, let's throw
them away, then.

first of all, i don't think many of these utilities are really _essential_.
all i can think are essential utilities for a developement system is mount
and ifconfig. if there are more, please tell them. other convenient utils
include a fdisk, dmesg and fsck/mkfs.

the GNU project is always putting effort into creating portable system
utilities that can be used on any kernel/libc. it wouldn't be much uncertain
if a new GNU package included a nice GNU mount and GNU ifconfig that
know the interfaces of many kernels and autoconf'ed for virtualy any libc
(there _are_ already a gmount and gifconfig in the GNU OS, they are part
of the Hurd package as of now and only support Hurd fs servers and pfinet,
it wouldn't be that hard to add support to it for other system cores.)

for fdisk, we have parted already. for fsck/mkfs there's a portable ext2progs
package. if we can use ext2fs as the root filesystem, we're ok. otherwise
we can put together an ufsprogs package. i think it's easier than porting
all that BSDish code that was never meant to be portable.

make: *** No rule to make target `war'.  Stop.

Another world is possible - Just say no to genocide