New Debian GNU/NetBSD port

mjg59@claudius.jcn.srcf.net's password:
Last login: Wed Feb 26 02:06:09 2003 from athena.jc

The programs included with the Debian GNU/NetBSD system are free
software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/NetBSD comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
mjg59@claudius:~/ > uname -a
NetBSD claudius 1.6 NetBSD 1.6 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Sep  8 11:55:46 UTC 2002
autobuild@cs20.apochromatic.org:/autobuilder/build/sparc64/OBJ/autobuilder/build/src/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/GENERIC
sparc64
mjg59@claudius:~/ > dpkg -l
ii  base-files     3.0.8          Debian base system miscellaneous files
ii  dpkg           1.10.9         Package maintenance system for Debian
ii  dpkg-dev       1.10.9         Package building tools for Debian
ii  dselect        1.10.9         a user tool to manage Debian packages

So. Some work to do there yet.

Things that need to be done to make dpkg build:

Install GNU fileutils, findutils and tar. You'll also want perl and the
pod2* stuff. And possibly ncurses.

Get dpkg tarball. Apply patches from http://debian-bsd.lightbearer.com

./configure. Hack config.h and remove the VA_COPY define - we don't have
it. If the build fails complaining about obstack stuff, cd into the
directory it failed in and do the command by hand replacing -I./obstack
with -I../obstack. If you get errors about WINDOW * needing a cast, edit
the file concerned and s/curses.h/ncurses.h/. Remove doc from the
SUBDIRS list in Makefile. Copy mkinstalldirs into each subdirectory.
Make install. Delete all that, and extract the tarball again. As root,
debian/rules configure and then edit build/config.h to remove the
VA_COPY stuff. Edit build/Makefile to remove doc. dpkg-buildpackage -nc
-d. Stuff should build. Hack debian/rules to deal with the absence of
doc. You should now have some debs. Create the files dpkg bitches about,
and install them. You're now able to set about building more debs.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org