Re: A request from the NetBSD folks [ please discuss ]

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:22:36AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> Indeed. As long as it's documented, people are probably going to be
> hand-selecting their APT entries, anyway, so it isn't such a big deal.
>
> [...]
> The Debian architecture will remain 'netbsd-i386', with the known issue
> that we'll have to resolve this at some point with the dpkg maintainers and
> the ftpmasters.

Untill we resolve this, please take into consideration to avoid filing patches
that use "netbsd-i386" in a way that breaks the other port. I've been careful
to keep such incompatible patches without submitting, since I started.

You can fix build issues most of the times by using _GNU_SYSTEM instead of
_ARCH variables, though. When it comes to [netbsd-i386] tags in Build-\
Depends fields, both ports will want the same usualy.

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)