Re: Tried to compile pppd but no luck

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 05:29:16AM +0100, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Robert;
> Hmm.. my intention was just to let you know how things are done in FreeBSD, I'm
> not really into suggesting which ppp you might want to use :).

Any suggestion is appreciated, of course.

> > [1] see the archived thread:
> >     http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2003/debian-hurd-200306/msg00114.html
> >
> I think I saw this thread on Daemonnews too.

Do you have any link?

> > I recently posted a patch for Debian's PPP to work on GNU/FreeBSD [2]. Have
> > you tried it? It's untested yet and i'm waiting for someone to tell me how
> > it works.
> >
> I haven't sorry, I use the non-GNU FreeBSD.

Ah, ok. Note that FreeBSD is per-se the non-GNU system. Our GNU/FreeBSD is
not "a FreeBSD", we just happen to use FreeBSD's kernel.

btw, if you regurlarly use FreeBSD, note that you can try GNU/FreeBSD
easily with a chroot jail - no need to install over your existing system.

> Is Debian's ppp derived from the older pppd in FreeBSD?
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/pppd/

No, I think it's actualy the other way around. Debian uses a PPP implementation
that is widely used on GNU/Linux distributions and also runs on *BSD and
some propietary Unices.

For what i'm told, the *BSD forked that PPP at some point and made their
own versions. The fork is not that much separated, as you can see i used
code from both FreeBSD's and NetBSD's PPPs for my port.

> It should just work, but it was left basicly unmaintained several years ago...
> the "modern" tendency is to use netgraph:
> http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200003/netgraph.html (the article is a little
> outdated)

I'll look at that, thanks!