Re: Proposed mini-policy for NetBSD kernel packages

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 12:10:53PM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:

> > Kernels must always have a Provides entry for the specific image that they
> > contain, of the form:
> >
> >     netbsd-kernel-image-<version> (i.e., kernel-image-1.6.1)
>
> maybe 1.6 will suffice, I guess the kernel interfaces are guaranteed to
> not change in one stable version. The only exception I know about is
> ipfilter which changed between 1.6 and 1.6.1 and this could be solved by
> having a special Provides entry for ipfilter and making the ipfilter
> userland tools a separate package.

Possibly, but I'd really be more comfortable not trying to guess. For the
vast majority of things, the -compat-1.6 that would presumably be turned
on (or present by default, if it doesn't require a compat option) should
suffice. The few things for which it wouldn't are intimately tied to the
kernel, and potentially to certain kernel options being enabled.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>