Re: config.{sub,guess} and NetBSD

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 08:29:18PM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:

> 4) Is it feasible to just change the config scripts and require the new
>    when trying to build on NetBSD systems? (presumably having them return
>    'i386-netbsd', much like they do for various Linuxes)

I went with adding an entry to config.guess. It's easy enough to add a
test that looks for something that is only present in the Debian (if all
else fails, the uname output can be modified - it's a trivial kernel
patch), and then use i386-unknown-netbsd-debian (or something like that).
This is arguably the right thing to do - we probably want libtool to
produce libraries with three version numbers (or, alternatively, we can
fix all the packages that have these hardcoded into them...), and various
packages make assumptions based on finding a NetBSD system that aren't
true in our case. Having a new config string means we can fix this without
breaking things elsewhere, which means there's a better chance of upstream
accepting them.

The only packages where this caused any great trouble were gcc and
binutils, and that was fairly easily rectified.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org