Re: Question related debian + freeBSD

Hi all!

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Carlos Mario wrote:

> A few time i was knowing the Free software.  Now i thinking install
> debian and freeBSD in my PC.   But i have a question:  if i want learn
> to admin the unix system, reallity is logic try to work at home with
> this 2 operative systems?    what can i learn if  i study this
> plataforms separalety????????

My tip would be to start using/learning linux (debian is best choice!!)
and if you think you know what you are doing, then you could try a BSD
(I'm using NetBSD - also a really good choice :-).

The systems are qiute different in terms of administration and
maintanability (I can't tell you much/anything about kernel and all that
and you probably won't be interested to ;-))
Debian is easier to administaer, it has an abstraction layer (deb-conf
etc.) and most software is configured at installation time with some
questions), *BSD leaves you with the config files in /etc (that's a good
training!).

Linux uses the best of all *nix-worlds (S5V4 and BSD stream), while *BSD
is really BSD-like (as it is named). There are some good books (O'Reilly
!!!) out there to tell you the specifics of each...

Good luck!

[ Don't flame me for anything written here. It's my _personal_ opinion! ]

Greetings, Dirk
--
Dirk Ruediger, Rostock, Germany

Youth is a disease from which we all recover.
                 -- Dorothy Fuldheim