Re: Glibc and NetBSD

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 01:19:11AM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> These are opinions, not proven facts.
>
> It is not yet entirely clear what the whole situation with glibc will
> be. I am working with it on FreeBSD, but have by no means decided for or
> against it yet. I am still assessing it. This is what I have found so far:

> Cons
<snip>

* Does nothing to improve the software. "Our packages are too glibc-centric
  and it's too hard to bring them to *BSD libc, lets just use glibc instead
  of fixing them."
* Makes these ports close to useless. I'm a former FreeBSD user (2.x 'till
  3.x) before I started using Debian. I haven't got involved with this due
  to needing 36h in a day already, I've only been reading the list. The
  moment this is getting useful (and it looks like it's becoming that) and I
  need to install a new system @home I'll start using it.
  But ONLY if it has the BSD kernel *and* libc. That's what I want BSD for.
  And I want Debian for it's quality, it's package management, and a slew of
  other things but not for glibc - at least not on a BSD port.

> This may boil down further to a
> question of whether it is better to make a small number of large changes
> to a small amount of code, or a large number of small changes to a lot
> of code, spread over a lot of source packages.

If a lot of source packages are non-portable and require changes, then they
should get fixed. Debian is supposed to be portable. Plain and simple.

> Robert Millan wrote:
> >
> > Debian has 9000 packages now, and all them are proven to build with the
> > kernel Linux and the GNU libc. Some are also proven to work with the GNU
> > Hurd and the GNU libc. Very few are proven to work with the *BSD kernels
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > and the *BSD libcs.

So let's throw the kernel away too and use the Linux kernel, OK? Oh wait...
we already have that port.

Or how about this one: "Very few of them are proven to work on non-i386"
'Nuff said.

Regards,

Filip

--
There are  340 282 366 920 938 463 463 374 607 431 768 211 456 IPv6
addresses. That's roughly 313 million addresses per every cubic