Re: Multiple topics

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:15:46PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> >1) FreeBSD 5.0 pre-release... does anyone know if it's GCC 3.x clean?
>
> How clean do you mean? The standard compiler in -CURRENT is a gcc 3.1
> snapshot.

Oh, that's probably clean enough to start working with. It definitely says
to me that we should target a 5.x STABLE basis (at least) for getting into
Woody+1

> >2) pmake (aka /usr/src/usr.bin/make) - the source tree for this on the
> >various BSD flavors differ significantly, but all appear to share some
> >basic level of functionality. How similar are they? I'm looking at taking
> >over the pmake package, and wondering whether stealing just one would
> >suffice, or whether I need to do pmake-netbsd, pmake-freebsd, pmake-openbsd
> >(heck, maybe pmake-bsd44 for the origional BSD 4.4 version?) and allow
> >folks to use /etc/alternatives to select what 'pmake' actually calls.
>
> Well, there's a residual desire that the makes should be compatible, but
> various changes over the years haven't been co-ordinated. In 1996 FreeBSD
> and NetBSD had the same make, for example, and more recently (well, last
> summer) the OpenPackages crowd were trying to produce a merged version
> which ended up mostly following the OpenBSD (heavily refactored) version.
> The NetBSD make seems to be the most consistently maintained one. The
> whole situation is rather crap.

This is what I keep hearing. I'm thinking that perhaps what needs to happen
(in the long term, anyway; short-term, I'm not going to mess with it too
heavily, other than preparing the way for improvements, perhaps) is that
we should pick one of the "unified" makes (OP make, bmake) as a preferred
alternative (since they'll compile most packages, which is what Debian as
a whole needs), and provide the system-specific ones, possibly even arch
limited to the relevant arches (if it won't compile cleanly elsewhere).