Re: Debian GNU/Hurd and Debian GNU/*BSD

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 02:36:09PM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> Joel has mostly-working patches for 4.1.x, at this stage; most of the
> reason that they're not in a .deb is that I need Branden's advice on some
> esoterica about X itself and what it builds. I agree with his priorities,
> however - which means that most likely, you'll actually see some official
> stuff for 4.2.0 (once he releases the packages for it and I can see how
> much is broken in between - but most of the patches for *BSD aren't in
> areas that seem likely to change, unlike, say, GCC).

I also have a more-or-less working patch for FreeBSD, based on Joel's
NetBSD patch. I believe I'll wait on 4.2 also. I mainly wanted xlib6-dev,
anyway. I need it to build doxygen, so I can build gcc without breaking
g++ docs...

There seem to be a bunch of problems with the locale and i18n support in
libc, and this breaks several of the X programs I've tried to build. Not
just gettext, but UTF and similar things seem to be missing. I've
packaged GNU libiconv, and that helps some, but I still have no multi-byte
character functions, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

> On a side note - work has been insane, and thus, very little packaging work
> has gotton done recently. I don't really know if, or when, this will change
> (and if I change jobs, I lose my build machine entirely, so...)

You have my sympathies. I'm between jobs now, but my last one was very
demanding. (If anyone wants to hire a debian developer, let me know... :-)

	---Nathan