Re: DRAFT: Email to RMS (take 2)

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Joel Baker wrote:

> > Do you have any specific examples of this?

> Please see the archives of debian-legal, both on the current thread for
> this and past threads regarding linking GPL binaries and non-GPL-compatible
> licenses (and what constitutes the latter).

I read that one thread. I don't see specific example.

Hmmm. I wonder about GNU Emacs being used on operating systems years
before needed GNU libraries even existed. (I guess I should read that old
license in my old GNU Emacs comb-bound manual on my shelf.)

This is quite confusing, since FSF code itself is provided for using with
non-GPL'd libraries.

Even GLIBC used old 4.4BSD code (and headers).

> In short.... "Yes, such things have occured". The OpenSSL fracas is
> just one of the more memorable cases. There have been a number of
> others.

I don't see how this applies to the OpenSSL issue where some code was not
really open source.

Do you have any specific examples of a problem with linking against
the libraries?

Isn't the GPL fun?

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://www.isp-faq.com/