Re: /libexec/ld.elf_so

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 01:21:50AM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 05:15:05PM +1000, matthew green wrote:
> >
> >    Hmmm. The origional plan had said /lib.
> >
> > yeah, i know.  that's why i told you :-)  basically, enough people
> > complained that not using /libexec/ld.elf_so would be to break the
> > consistency of the system, yadda yadda yadda.  i don't care and
> > prolly would have preferred to not have a new /libexec for one file,
> > but whatever ...
>
> Ahwell. Really, we can put it wherever the heck we want, as long as we make
> sure that GCC knows about it. And since we can have Debian patches to GCC
> to fix that... it's not a big deal.
>
> I may even make an attempt at writing and submitting a patch to point it at
> /lib, at some point here. A few other things have higher priority, though.

You can do that easily enough. However, it might break binaries from
regular netbsd. That's not a beautiful thing.

> >    NetBSD is native libc. FreeBSD is GNU libc. Beward of trying to run native
> >    applications, however; they may or may not be linked against the same
> >    versions of various libraries that Debian has (though, in theory, if the
> >    soname matches it SHOULD work, and if it doesn't, it should fail on the
> >    inability to link at runtime).

IIRC, when I was working with FreeBSD native libc, Debian's ncurses
broke native binaries.

> > i'm not so worried about non-libc shared libraries, but libc itself.
> > how do i take an application build for a normal freebsd host and run
> > it on debian/freebsd?  is their libc around somewhere for it to find
> > or will it try to use glibc (and almost definately fail)?
>
> As far as I know... this won't be possible, at least initially. However,
> I don't claim to know all the intricacies of what this would take, and
> whether or not it would be feasible (or will be done, even if it is).

I can't stick FreeBSD native libraries in /usr/lib. I probably could
put them into a different directory, and get ld.so to find them. But the
native libc doesn't lookup users in /etc/passwd, and there are some
related problems, that make binaries not work well with /etc from a
glibc system. (IIRC, /etc/host.conf breaks FreeBSD's resolver code.
There were other things, but I can't remember them all.)

So in the near-term I'm expecting that native libc applications will
have to run in a chroot. That's not completely convenient, but it'll
work until I can figure out something else.

	---Nathan