group id of newly created nodes

Hi,

(please CC me on replies)

we have found an interesting problem in Debian package scripts.  This is
related to the behaviour of the Hurd and BSD to create new files with the
gid of the parent directory, rather than the process.  And sgid flag on
directories is simply ignored.  POSIX allows that.

For example, if you build a package as root which is unpacked as user joe,
the files in the package will have a group of joe.  You can imagine that
this is not a good thing to have.  It should be the same on the Hurd as on
BSD, but I have no BSD around to check.

So I thought I would just give you a heads up on this issue, because it
really puzzled me, and maybe you want to check if your builds are all fine.
Candidates are dpkg, base-files, and debianutils because their debian/rules
commands are not careful enough to explicitely set the group to root.

I don't know if you have fakeroot for BSD.  But it should even show up in a
fakeroot build.

If you unpack and build as root, you will also want to know about bug report
#144571.

I hope this is helpful.  If you don't have this problem, congratulations and
just ignore this mail :)  If you have this problem, you might need to fix
those debian/rules files.  For the Hurd, we definitely have this problem but
we might change the default to be like Linux in this regard, so I am not
sure if we will continue to have it.  If we do, we need to fix those
rules files, too, and we might coordinate our efforts.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de