re: make-bsd, pmake, and /usr/share/mk, oh my

   On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 08:59:15PM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
   > So... pmake claims to be "BSD 4.4 make", and in fact appears to be a not-
   > unreasonable copy of the NetBSD make sources. Is there any particular
   > reason that the make-bsd and netbsd-mk packages in the chroot can't be
   > replaced by the Debian-standard pmake package, if it gets updated (it's
   > a few revisions behind, it looks like, but that's a wishlist bug for the
   > author and easy to patch against for us).

   I'd been under the impression that pmake was some sort of parallel make
   (though I'm not sure why), so that can probably be assumed to just be me
   being stupid. I don't see any reason not to use pmake instead (other than
   it being a bit out of date).

it is.  parallel make that is.  there are ways to even make it spawn
commands on other hosts... i think it comes from the sprite program
originally, but the multi-host code isn't entirely complete last i
looked... but i thought someone was fixing it (in netbsd)