Re: patch to add FreeBSD support

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 11:48:56AM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
> > Please don't use perl there, I want to get rid of all perl in dpkg.
>
> This is during the build of dpkg.  That's a completely different area then the
> running of dpkg.

Yes, it only affects configure. There's no equivilent patch for dpkg
--print-architecture. That still has to have an exact match in the archtable.
Changing that would add a dependacy on a regex library.

I've configured gcc as i386-unknown-freebsd4, because gcc's configure knows
that versions < 4 are a.out. That allows --print-architecture to find the
arch by i386-freebsd4 in the archtable. I may have to add freebsd5 for 5.0
later, but that's much easier than dealing with every minor release, or
patching every configure and config.guess in Debian.

At some point, it may be desirable for config.guess to be able to distinguish
Debian FreeBSD from regular FreeBSD. That could solve the problem here nicely.

	---Nathan