comments on PAM.

So, there was mention of tackling PAM after shadow gets working.

Speaking as PAM maintainer, I will not accept new patches for
portability to the Debian PAM 0.72 packages.  We're already too far
out of date with regard to upstream.  If patches are submitted I'll
ask people to redo them after I get 0.75 packages ready and close the
bug.

So, if PAM becomes part of your critical path, volunteering to help do
the work necessary to move to the new upstream would be better than
writing patches against the current code.

I'm not trying to be difficult; Debian on a BSD kernel is something I
care a lot about (although I have limited time to work on it).  I'm
simply trying to avoid getting in a situation where the upgrade path
for PAM is more impossible than it already is.