Re: Progress report

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 12:52:12PM +1100, matthew green wrote:

> i really don't know anything about the "lang/gcc" pkg.  note that for
> netbsd-current, a bunch of platforms have switched to gcc 2.95.3 &
> binutils 2.11.2.

Woody is apparantly going to be released with gcc 3.0 for hppa, 2.96 for
ia64 and 2.95 for all the others. Post-Woody, there's likely to be a shift
towards 3.1 (especially once the Linux kernel is properly compilable with
it - there are still sections which miscompile with 3.0). The egcs package
is no longer maintained in Debian by the looks of it, but we stand a
chance of being able to get patches put into the 2.95 package (a quick
glance at the patches in the ports tree seems to suggest that most of them
don't screw about with non-NetBSD specific stuff - I don't have a copy of
the -current source here to check whether that's the case for the 2.95.3
code).

What do people think? Using 2.95 wherever possible might have the
advantage of being easier given that patches already exist, but I can't
really see them appearing in upstream. Trying to fix the gcc 3 development
tree would probably be more rewarding in the long-term (we don't have to
bombard the Debian maintainer with as many random patches), which gives me
an excuse to become significantly more intimately acquainted with the gcc
tree than I currently am :)

(right, compile falls over on libobjc when it starts doing stuff with
threads. I'll disable that for the moment and come back to it later on)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org