Re: update on Debian/FreeBSD

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:49:07PM -0400, utsl@quic.net wrote:
> The list has been quiet the last couple days, so I thought I'd post some
> updates from my adventures with FreeBSD:

> Bad news:
> *  utmp: just about everything that compiles against utmp.h fails. Debian
>    tools are expecting a SysV-ish utmp, and it just isn't there.

I once made a (C extension) python module for working with utmp across different
platforms. It emulates glibc utmp for systems without one, and it
seems to work reasonably well (within limits).
I do not know if it will be of any use, but you can have a look:
http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/python-utmp/