Re: BSD libc or Glibc?

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:31:05AM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:

> I once made a python cross-platform module for handling utmp, and
> my solution was to use #define ut_id ut_line for those
> systems not having ut_id

Hmm. Ut_id is a an id set for INIT_PROCESS, configurable via inittab
(though, identifying an init runlevel).
Ut_line is a tty device name for login process.
As I understand, ut_id is the same as ut_line in case of the user process,
(actually, it is not the same, because ut_id is set to the last two letters
from the device name, and ut_line is a whole device name (stripping /dev),
but that doesn't matter :)
while init should have it set to the inittab-defined value.
It is a SysV-way, after all :)

> maybe you could have a look at other (compatible) init's, there is
> busybox (not quite compatible, though), and maybe others

I tried. Didn't find any SysV-like for BSD systems :(
sysvinit that I try to port is native for Debian, so this is why I
choose it.

> when you use glibc, you throw away 50% of the reasons for doing
> debian port to *BSD. glibc is far too bloated, BSD libc is fast and lean.
> (yes, missing some things... but nothing crucial)

Agreed.

--
Regards, Wartan.
echo "Your stdio isn't very std."