Re: assimilating OpenBSD

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 08:06:12PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
[snip]
> I expect the security of debian GnuLinux to raise dramatically
> once the code audit and bugfixing started and gained some
> momentum, [...]

I'm not sure where this sentence fits in with the rest of your plan.
Getting more auditing for Debian would be good, sure, but that's a separate
problem from what kernel/core we use. Where is this testing coming from?

> 1. port the Debian package tools to OpenBSD
> 2. package the OpenBSD CVS. not ports.
>    (find some way to do the package generation half automatic for
>    now to get some base, make source update from their CVS tree easy.
>    Do NOT fiddle with paths, bootprocess, FHS and package
>    configuration yet). Introduce dependencys. THis will be a
>    Openbsd system coming in packages.
> 3. configure the packages in a way, that installed daemons really
>    are configured in a meaningfull way and activ.
> 4. switch to systemV bootprocess, with starting and stopping of
>    services with /etc/init.d/apache restart.
> 5. modify packages to conform to FHS.
> 6. have a debian openbsd boot disk
> 7. try and port debian applications (like kde and friends) to
>    debian OpenBSD.

Also, perhaps:
8. Quite a few of the OpenBSD userland programs are already packaged for
 Debian, so long term it would be nice for your packages to converge with
 those.

> Right now I am working on dpkg and debhelper. they partly reley
> on powerful gnu-features of unix tools like xargs -r,
> tar --no-recurse --null, find -regex, cpio -0

As someone else commented, if we need features of the GNU versions of these
tools, go with the GNU versions (for starters, at least).

Certainly looks like an interesting project :-)

Colin