Re: Problems with init

On 26 Jul 2001 18:54:40 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I actually do think its that much better. However, it is pretty
> trivial to simulate System V stuff with a shell script that calls the
> various rc?.d scripts. What isn't trivial to simulate for real is
> actual run levels, but the scripts are trivial.

I also happen to like it very much - as someone else pointed out, Debian
is well known for its intelligent package management which is not
exactly compatible with the rest of the world, but is most certainly a
good thing.

I have tried to implement a similar init dependencies on Debian (without
getting much done though), but since NetBSD already has it why not try
and change the Policy? It's going to be frozen to changes soon, but a
release of Debian-BSD doesn't seem to be around the corner anyway.

> Though I doubt we'd be able to convince core Debian to pick up our
> init and rc system, I'd recommend having a look at the way that it
> works. We designed it based on having used all the other systems and
> deciding they weren't what we needed. Like the System V rc system,
> there is a separate script for each facility, but unlike System V,
> there is no arbitrary numbering to handle the ordering.

I think that a lot of people in Debian will love your init design. Plus,
the Policy says no package should modify the rc.d structure directly,
instead they should use the upadte-rc.d program. That makes it a lot
easier to migrate. I believe file-rc (which is an rc.conf-like boot
method) hooks into update-rc.d in order to do its thing.

Best regards,
Pavel.