Re: Problems with init

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 09:04:48AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> My only concern for supporting runlevels is legacy/conversion support.
> If this really did come up on debian-devel, and folks *wanted* a solution,
> then I would like to ask if there is a qualified developer here who would
> be willing to bring it up there (I'm not an official developer, at the
> moment, or I would do it).

I would, but I would like to investigate other options first.
There was a makefile-like startup in Mastodont linux distribution,
but I cannot find the page anymore (maybe it does not exists), and
it seems a bit over-complicated.

Incidentally, I am going to try to install NetBSD, but since the machine
in question is an old diskless hp400 with 8MB RAM I doubt I'd have enough
patience to evaluate the startup scripts :-)
(that is, if I ever succeed in installing NetBSD there)

However, I am by no means "important" in debian, and even
if I were, I do not give this proposal a bit chance...
SysV inertia is big, and the changes would be needed to apply to
_all_ packages using /etc/init.d scripts, and that is a lot of work
and a substantial change in debian infrastructure.