NetBSD Core liaison

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 03:16:42PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Michael Goetze <mgoetze5@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > What we really need here is a contact person... someone willing to go
> > to the NetBSD folks, explain to them what it is we want and how it can
> > halp what they want. We also need a contact person to organize
> > webspace, etc., from the Debian project.
>
> I think that Matt Green and I might both be willing to help out with
> trying to play liaison to the NetBSD side.

According to my contacts in NetBSD core, Perry and Matt are highly
respected contributors who would be excellent go-betweens.  Thank
you, Perry, for offering to help.

> Understand, however, that
> you're not likely to get universal acclaim from the NetBSD side.
> Diplomacy is going to be very difficult here, and people are going
> to have to restrain their impulses to beat "the other" to death
> for not fully agreeing with them at all times.

Of course there are wackos in every large enough group of people.
("Large enough N" often means "N >= 2".)  The wackos are a lost
cause; and the sensibly pragmatic will be no problem.  The only
ones we may need help with are with the rest, persuading them
we are not (as it were) after their precious gum wrappers, and
might even be useful in some odd ways.

In practice, this may mean the same things "liaison" always means
between development groups -- commenting on and (when they are
ready) passing on upstream patches, and clarifying current project
status and future plans.

It might help for you to pass on that the Debian GNU/BSD project
has no intention of relicensing anything.  In practice, it is to
our benefit for changes to be folded into upstream sources, so it
would be foolish to do anything that would interfere with upstream
acceptance.

Currently open questions include NetBSD's plans regarding gcc-3.
In particular, will the kernel be buildable with it soon?  If not,
we may need to keep a kernel-gcc and kernel-ld for building kernels.

Nathan Myers
ncm at cantrip dot org