Re: hmm...

On 24 Jul 2001, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>Michael Goetze <mgoetze5@yahoo.com> writes:
>> > I just had a look. It is very similar to the NetBSD layout (which is
>> > very largely unchanged from 4.4BSD). There are some annoying
>> > differences, including /opt vs /usr/pkg, the whole BSD concept of
>> > libdata and libexec, etc. However, the overall ideas seem to be
>> > pretty much similar.
>>
>> You'll be happy to find out that debian doesn't put anything in /opt.
>> And /usr/pkg is what we're trying to replace, isn't it?
>
>Not necessarily.
>
>In the NetBSD world, we like distinguishing "third party" apps from our
>own apps. /usr/pkg is somewhat convenient for that. It may not be what
>we do "someday" but for now it is a useful convention.

Well, this is a bit heavy. The main thing should be for Debian/BSD to
package up a BSD kernel.  Where things go in the NetBSD side is pretty
much still up to you all.  However, I think that there's a dpkg --root=DIR
option that you may just put in NetBSD's /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg, assuming you
want to aim at a moving together rather than just a netbsd-kernel.deb.