Re: vote

Andreas Krennmair writes:

This is a vote what system that we should take as basis for our project.
1) Which kernel?
  a) OpenBSD kernel
  b) NetBSD kernel
  c) FreeBSD kernel
  d) Darwin kernel

c, a, or b in that order of preference. FreeBSD seems to be the most featured for i386, which is the most common arch, anyway. As other people have pointed out, OpenBSD with Debian on top is probably pointless from a security perspective. Securing Debian should be separate project, anyway.

2) What userland
  a) only the userland that came with the chosen kernel
  b) "native" userland + some GNU utilities
  c) mostly GNU utilities + some very system dependent userland
     utilities.

c. I'd go further, and favour developing binary compatibility to the point that it can share most packages with the Linux distribution. That would be extremely helpful. The best way to do that is probably to port glibc. Another way would be to see how solid the Linux compatibility layer is. I'd be curious to see if grub or lilo can boot BSD from a ext2 filesystem. If that works, then it might be possible to hack the compatibility layer and a BSD kernel over top of a relatively normal Debian system. (Ok, a really hacked up Debian base system, but it'd be a neat approach.)
Vote, comment, give feedback (please).
Regards,
Andreas Krennmair
--
/* let's suicide: */ kill(getpid(),SIGKILL);