Re: bsd newbie

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 02:45:19PM +0400, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:25:03PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
>
> > 	since long time now i'm tracking linux debian but i would like to
> > experiment something new. Can someone kindly point me to start with
> > debian bsd???? I'm quite curious...
>
> Well, it seems that right now there is simply nothing to experiment with.
> I've done a port of dpkg and apt to FreeBSD, but had no time to follow the
> line.
> Someone here seemed to do the same with OpenBSD.
> So, if you want to experiment with something new -- try Debian/Hurd. Debian/BSD
> is not alive.. At least, yet ;-)

I would suggest the (somewhat radical) concept of trying something
new that's (gasp) not Debian!  Just try FreeBSD or NetBSD, I'm
sure you'll like it.  FreeBSD would probably be better suited for
you if your x86, because IMHO ports > pkg-src (and with openprojects,
that'll be a non-issue soon)

I doubt that you'll regret it.  I talk to more people who don't
than people who do.

--
Dan Papasian               | ICQ UIN- 1240015
bugg@sometvshow.com        | AIM-      bugg42

There is no purpose. We do whatever we do. You either blow
your brains out or get on with something.
	--Roger Waters