Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Dan Papasian wrote:

> The FHS is a load of crap.  There are plently of standards existing
> beforehand for the layout of the UNIX filesystem.. Linux, aiming to act
> exactly like a UNIX, should follow these, not set their own standards.

	Plenty of standards? Isn't that the problem that FHS addresses?

	If you don't like FHS don't use it. But a development community
as large and diverse as Linux needs to establish some common understanding
of things like FHS so that it can continue to grow and expand around a
common goal. FHS isn't perfect but the mishmash of approaches to file
layout that has preceeded Linux is completely inadequate to the needs of
the Linux community. FHS is a good working model that reflects the realities
and needs of the community that is developing it. If you want to be off in
your own little corner fine, but it isn't good enough for Linux.

	And Linux is NOT aiming to act "exactly like UNIX". What is UNIX
anyway. Why should we be exactly like it? Why not take the best elements
of UNIX, leave the bad behind.

Debian/FreeBSD

	* FHS
	* Debian package system