Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 12:22:55AM -0600, Dan Potter wrote:
> >] apropos jail
> jail(2) - Imprison current process and future decendants
>
> This is different, it's a FreeBSD 4.0 kernel-based thing. It's much more
> powerful than chroot but similar. It's chroot plus it restricts root's
> capabilities and makes only processes in the same jail and one IP address
> accessable. I'm guessing this is for building virtual machines under a
> main machine, which is what we're doing where I work...

Hmm... chroot plus constrain ip, plus per-process syslevel.

I don't know how to tackle the ip addr lock down.  I'm sending email to
someone who does -- hopefully he'll tell me.

Most of the work has already been done to constrain root under linux.
You'd need to change the definition of cap_set_full (a #define in
<linus/capability.h>), to use a mask which is kept in ->current, and
you'd need to add a syscall to reduce the set of priviledges in the
mask.  If you could confirm that the capabilities in <linux/capability.h>
are relevant to the needs of jail, I could go ahead and write up a
patch that implements this feature.

> > > Things like 'ps' and 'top' use BSD-specific methods since the POSIX
> > > committee in all their wisdom decided against specifying a way to
> > > introspect the system. So you'd need these too.
> >
> > It's not so pleasant if independent versions of such things have to be
> > resupplied for every kernel.  Do they?
>
> Unfortunately, yes. That's the kernel dependencies I was talking about
> working around (and that the other Dan was talking about).

Ok, so for BSD there would have to be a kernel release specific set of
such binaries.  This should still be quite a bit smaller than everything
that's in /usr/bin/ on a BSD system.

Might be worth having a release-specific directory which could underly
the debian /usr/bin/ -- this would allow reboots across kernel releases
without having to worry about package installs.

Thanks,

--
Raul