Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 01:52:49PM -0500, Dan Papasian wrote:
> It isn't a bad thing.  But the UNIX way always has been put the
> software that is part of the base OS's into /usr, and software installed
> over it into /usr/local.
>
> Considering with Debian you have a hodepodge of packages from different
> vendors, the logical solution to keep with unix tradition would be have
> everything installed with the /minimal/ install of debian go into /usr
> and everything else go into /usr/local

	I've been following this thread only loosely, not my comments
	may not add that much; but that said, Dan is right insofar as
	my 22 years of Unix go.  Even from the beginnings of V6 and V7,
	the hierarchy was fairly well defined to

	/usr/* and /etc/*

	and
	/usr/local/*

	I really don't see anything ``wrong'' with a more haphazard
	tree.  There are valid args to either way.  Also, it's similar
	to the old debate about how many angels can dance on the head
	of a pin.  (42:)

	I see three things to be gained by a DebianBSD flavor:

	(1) It would bring hundreds to countless thousands of new
	    people to a somewhat more stable kernel.

	(2) It might bring the Linux model closer to the Berkeley--
	    and vice versa.  (Just as there is great strength in
	    mixing diverse gene-pools, there is strength gained when
	    memes are mixed.)

	(3) It might encourage more ports of Linux drivers for all
	    the DOS toys to BSD.

	that's my few penny's worth!

	gary