Re: Re: OT Re: Advantage of debs?

On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 04:18:08PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 05:40:25PM -0500, dan wrote:
> > Thats the same way freebsd packages contain configuration files, packing
> > lists, installation scripts, etc.  We weren't talking about dropping that,
> > but adapting it into zips for compression and file access..
>
> Yuck. .tar.gz compresses better. .tar.bz2 even better. zip is an ugly
> DOSism.

Yes, compressed tarballs tend to yield better overall compression, but that's
not the only reason for choosing an archive format.  The zip format has a
central directory that allows any file in the archive to be extracted without
decompressing the entire archive.  This is not true of compressed tarballs.

Just the facts...

--
 - mdz