Re: Progres?

On 99-10-26 Clint Adams wrote:
> > We are mostly trying to create a better package system for FreeBSD in
> > combination with the other good aspects of Debian. If I seem to recall
> > the discussion at the beginn correctly.

> What are "the other good aspects"?

Good preconfiguration.
Documentation for packages in /usr/(local/)?doc.

This two come first to my mind when I think about the good aspects of
Debian.

> > Well, I think we should leave the BSD libraries where they are and use
> > them instead of porting linux libraries to BSD. Why should we do that?

> glibc is not a Linux library.

But BSD has it's own libaries and I think we should preserve them.

> > Why not? The base system of FreeBSD is in my opinion very nice and the
> > concept with either installing binaries oder building everything from
> > the source is great (espacially make world). So I think we should try to
> > kepp such aspects.

> It sounds like you'd be perfectly happy with dpkg and apt
> ported to FreeBSD and a bunch of non-base packages ported.

Right, as I think we shouldn't make to many changes to an existing
system which is selling well.

Ciao
     Christian
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*               Use Debian - a free Operating System               *