Re: The project

According to Steve Price:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> # 	I think that over time (months to a few years) a DebianBSD
> # 	distribution would attract newer and seasoned users from every
> # 	corner.  Nobody who is hardcore BSD or hardcore Debian is going
> # 	to be `converted' ... and that's fine.
>
> This is where you and I obivously differ in opinion.  I don't
> want to see yet another distribution.  I want to see the strengths
> of both combined into one or the other.  Don't care which.
>
> Currently we have different means to the same end.  There is
> strength in numbers and splitting the community again because you
> like your xterm's background blue and I like my compiler to be
> egcs just isn't an effort I'm interested in.
>
> We should focus our efforts on putting our collective knowledge
> into "fixing what's broke with the dists we have" and iff when
> people have proven to be unreceptive (and they won't be because
> we are going to give them the best of both worlds) should we
> even consider YAD (yet another distribution).

	If the Core members of FreeBSD would agree to fully
	integrate the best of GNU into our BSD, that would be
	outstanding.

	Having a BSD that allowed every intelligent person to use
	easily would benefit everyone.  As I see it, FBSD
	currently aims for the server market; the very high-end
	techie.  Fine; but also fairly narrow.

	The reason I saw a shrinkwrapped Linux RedHat distribution
	at a local warehouse superstore is that Linux is aimed
	more toward the newer, intelligent computer- and non-computer-
	types.

	For now, yes, let's focus on putting together what strengths
	we can.  Maybe we'll actually get there!

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix